Here we go, year 4! As I said in my last post, I am continuing with PL for the fourth year. I haven't gotten bored with it, as others have. I thought I would share what works for me in the hopes of inspiring people just getting into PL, or to help those getting bored with it.
- Year to year I don't consider changing the format of 12x12, Design A, as it is such a habit for me to think of my pictures and how they will fit in the week. I can see at some point making a week one page instead of two, but for now we're active enough that a 2-page spread works.
- I don't lock myself into ONE KIT, or one of anything (font, title page, etc). It doesn't bother me at all that in my books one week you'll find Elle's Studio, one week is Simple Stories, one week is a BH kit, then one is bits and pieces I created with scraps. You get the picture. I mix it up to break up the boredom. I am not concerned with continuity. I AM concerned with keeping up and keeping it fun.
- Speaking of which, I rarely get behind. Year 3 I got 6 weeks behind and HATED the feeling. Before that, one week behind was the worst case scenario. Turns out I went to an all-day crop and got caught up, although those weeks weren't the best pages I've done. This inspired me to stick with my schedule. On Sunday I print my pictures. I give myself until the next Sunday to get the week done.
- I am fast. And what helps me with being fast is having a coordinated kit to work with. I don't spend a lot of time (10 minutes max) agonizing over card selection and placement. I also don't have a huge stash, which for me having too many choices slows me down. I pull 5-6 embellishments such as coordinating stickers, die cuts, veneers, etc once I decide which cards I'm using and I stick with them. I can do a week in 30 minutes, tops. But as you can see my weeks are pretty simple.
- Simple works for me. If I wanted each week to be a masterpiece, I'd be in trouble. I don't add a ton to my cards. The picture, and a few words about the picture. That's my idea for success.
Wishing you the best in your PL process!